|Story location: Home / food_and_drink / a_to_z /|
It has been far too long since I posted my last new recipe. I decided to try a sweet steamed bun recipe and tried to find something suitable on the web. I avoided any American recipes which mostly used mixture of 'all purpose' and 'cake flour' and found a recipe taken from a Ken Hom book. I decided to use half the quantities for my initial attempt.
For the sweet filling, I found a recipe for baked Honey Buns which sounded good. This recipe called for dessicated coconut which had been powdered in a food processor. Since we have coconut flour, I tried using that.
Since coconut flour abosrbs a lot of moisture during cooking, I reduced the amount (¾ of a cup instead of a full cup of dessicated) but the first test run came out too dry. I removed some of the mixture, added extra honey and oil and the egg white, to make the mixture softer and wetter, but the final version was still a bit too dry inside. The recipe for the filling is still only approximate since I don't know how much flour, honey or coconut oil ended up in the final mixture.
Making the dough
- 90ml warm water
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 190g plain flour
in a mixing bowl. Mix to a dough, knead for a few minutes then leave to rest while preparing the filling.
Mixing the filling
- ½ a cup of coconut flour
- 6 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 egg, beaten
The resulting mixture should be soft and slightly wet. This actually makes more than you need for the amount of dough.
Assembling and cooking
I divided the dough into 6 pieces, flattening them out and placing about a tablespoon of the filling in the middle of eIach. After folding the dough up and crimping to seal the top, I sat each bun onto a square of baking paper.
I used our Instant Pot to cook the buns. To make sure it was warmed up and ready, I poured boiling water into the bottom of the pot and pressed the sautee button while the buns rested and rose for about half an hour.
I cooked the buns using the Steam setting at low pressure for 15 minutes.
The bun texture came out ok and the filling tasted good. Apart from the filling going a bit dry (which I mentioned earlier), the recipe worked well.